5 edition of Fingal community history. found in the catalog.
Cover title: Fingal, North Dakota, 1980.Includes indexes.
|Statement||Fingal Community History Committee|
|Publishers||Fingal Community History Committee|
|The Physical Object|
|Pagination||xvi, 55 p. :|
|Number of Pages||49|
nodata File Size: 9MB.
It was home to wolves and wild boar, which were hunted by the local gentry. Main Street, Blanchardstown Courtesy of Fingal County Libraries In 1662, the Hearth Money Act was passed by the Irish Parliament. From these records, we know which surnames were common in Blanchardstown over 250 years ago.
Each house that possessed a fireplace or hearth was obliged to pay a tax of two shillings every year for each one. Official records contain the names of those who were liable for the tax in Blanchardstown.
The name 'Blanchard' is thought to come from the French word blanch, meaning white, Fingal community history. could refer to white or fair hair. This is a great record of the different families who lived in the area. Amongst them was a Richard Dempsey who had to pay four shillings, as he had two fireplaces in his home.
The forest streched from the River Tolka to beyond Coolmine. In 1652, the authorities ordered a wolf cull.
Some common names were O'Brien, Mulligan, Corrigan, Fingal community history., Powderly, Mahon, Horgan, Bronan, Dixon, Staunton, Halfpenny and Carpenter. Tolka Bridge, near Blanchardstown Courtesy of Fingal County Libraries The name Blanchardstown comes from the Blanchard family, who were granted their estate some time between 1250 and 1260.
Following years of war and rebellion during which the number of hunters waned, the wolf population grew to such an extent that it posed a danger to local people and livestock. Much of present-day Blanchardstown was once covered by dense forest, which was known as the Great Scaldwood.
In 1652, the authorities ordered a wolf cull.